With an estimated 30,000 cannabis enthusiasts descending on Santa Rosa for the annual Emerald Cup there’s bound to be a munchie rush come late afternoon. Maybe sooner, since things kick off pretty early at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. And while there will be plenty to nibble at the event, we’ve put together a dream list of toker snacks both obvious and not-so-obvious that are BiteClub recommended.
First off, a little science lesson about eating when high. Stoners know that “Oh my god this is the absolute best thing I’ve ever eaten in my life” feeling that comes after downing a bag of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos, but it turns out there’s some serious physiological voodoo going on in your brain that makes it almost impossible to ignore them. According to a 2014 study by the French National Institute of Health, THC (the stuff in marijuana that makes you “high”) binds to olfactory receptors in your brain, making food smell and taste really, really good. Not just any food, mind you, because no amount of cannabis will make lima beans taste good. Typically it’s food that’s high in fat, sugar and salt, aka junk food.
So, here’s a delicious list from Biteclub and our BiteClub Facebook audience. Because whether you imbibe in the kind herb, or just get hungry reading my columns, it’s always snack-o-clock somewhere.
A word on where to find these items: Most are available at any grocery store or 7-11. Trader Joe’s gets a special call out because it’s a munchie wonderland. Obviously, not all of these recommended snacks will be easy to get hold of if you’ve already partaken, so our best advice is either to plan ahead, grab a sober friend or call a taxi. Safety first, friends.
Biteclubbers 30 Best Munchie Foods
30. GH Cretors Chicago Mix cheddar and caramel corn
29. Khatta Meetha, a sweet-salty Indian snack with Chickpeas, peanuts, peas and lentils.
28. Chocolate Covered Goji Berries
27. Cheetos Cheese Puffs
25. Dried Mangoes
24. Roasted seaweed
23. Mountain Mike’s Pepperoni Pizza (because the curl shows the quality).
22. In-N-Out Double Double with Animal Style Fries
21. Edamame and a cherry Slurpee
20. Flamin’ Hot Cheetos
19. Lucky Charms
18. Trader Joe’s Caramelized Onion Dip
17. McDonald’s Bacon and Cheese McGriddles
16. Fried chicken
14. Taco Bell Nachos
12. Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked Ice Cream
11. Trader Joe’s Scandinavian Swimmers (aka Swedish fish)
9. Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter
Trader Joe’s Peppermint Chocolate Waffle Cookies
5. Gummy Bears
4. Double Raspberry Magnum ice cream bars
3. Frito-Lay Munchie Mix
1. Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies
Bonus: Or, show the world your munchie faves with a foodie hoodie.
What are your favorite munchies?