Mother’s Day is approaching quickly, and the local brunch spots will have lines out the door. Skip the crowds with these 15 alternative ideas on ways to give your mom a memorable Mother’s Day. From an African safari to a wine blending session, there are plenty of ways to gift Mom with a unique experience.
Did we miss one? Let us know in the comments!
1. Go wine tasting with Mom. Sonoma County has wineries in almost every corner of the county, so pick your favorite and have a relaxing afternoon tasting delicious wine. (Jeremy Portje / For The Press Democrat)
2. Take Mom on a picnic. Beautiful Sonoma countryside and parks are perfect places to have a picnic with your mother. (Alvin Jornada / The Press Democrat)
3. Gift Mom with a wine blending seminar. Several local wineries, like DeLoach Vineyards in Santa Rosa, B Cellars in Calistoga and Ravenswood in Sonoma, invite the public to unleash their inner winemaker with a blending session that ends with your very own personal blend of wine. (PD FILE)
4. Take Mom on a journey through space: On Mother’s Day, Jim and Kathy Oceans will perform “Astronaut Lullabies” — a planetarium experience at the SRJC Lark Hall Greenhouse (near the Planetarium) — that combines live music with a visual space exploration. The adventure starts at 3 p.m., and admission is $10-$15. jimoceanmusic.com. (Kent Porter / Press Democrat)
5. Take Mom on an African safari, right here in Santa Rosa. Mother’s Day Champagne Brunch: Tours aboard the African Queen or brunch only, 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Sunday, May 8, Safari West, Santa Rosa. $18-$75. 579-2551, safariwest.com/wild-about-mom. (JOHN BURGESS / The Press Democrat)
6. Mother’s Day Bubbles & BBQ: Spoil Mom with slow-cooked barbecue, sparkling wines and live music, noon-2 p.m. Sunday, May 8, Gloria Ferrer Caves & Vineyards, Sonoma. $45-$70. 933-1917, gloriaferrer.com. (Photo / Paige Green)
7. Make Mom breakfast in bed. Here’s a way to sneak in brunch without waiting an hour for eggs. See some of our favorite recipes at pantry.blogs.pressdemocrat.com. (Christopher Chung/ The Press Democrat)
8. Take a guided bike tour of Sonoma County. Sonoma Valley Bike Tours offers several tour options, including a half-day scenic tour of the Sonoma Valley, a cycling trip through the vineyards, a self-guided tour and more. Visit sonomavalleybiketours.com. (Courtesy / Sonoma Valley Bike Tours)
9. Enjoy a theater production. On Sunday, take Mom to see “Disney’s The Little Mermaid” at Spreckel’s Performing Arts Center in Rohnert Park. The show starts at 1 p.m. on Mother’s Day, and tickets are $16-$26. Find out more at pd2go.net/LittleMermaid. Also on Sunday is a performance of Hamlet, presented by the SSU Dept. of Theatre Arts & Dance. The show starts at 2 p.m. at the Evert B. Person Theatre at SSU, and tickets are $10-$17. Visit sonoma.edu. (Photo by James Wirth)
10. Pamper Mom with a spa day. Almost nothing compares to the feeling of being treated like a queen and catered to. Better yet, enjoy the pampering together. (Photo: Erik Castro/for The Press Democrat)
11. Treat her to champagne. Korbel Champagne Cellars is offering free champagne tasting for moms on Mother’s Day, and will also offer tours of the garden. Visit www.korbel.com. (Courtesy / Korbel.com)
12. Take Mom on a rose tour at the Russian River Rose Company in Healdsburg. On Mother’s Day, Mom can see rose petals transformed into rose water or rose oil, learn the history of rose oil and perfumes, and enjoy refreshments in the garden. Tour cost starts at $10.95, and reservations are required. Or you can just visit the gardens for a $2 donation. Visit russian-river-rose.com for more information. (Jeremy Portje / For The Press Democrat)
13. Take Mom to one of the beautiful beaches along the Sonoma Coast. From Goat Rock Beach to Bodega Head, the Sonoma Coast offers stunning views. If the weather allows, pack up some food and wine for a beautiful day at the beach. (Conner Jay/The Press Democrat)
14. Take a cooking class with her. Relish Culinary Adventures in Healdsburg is holding the event, “Mother’s Day Brunch,” where you and mom can learn to make a five-course brunch together while sipping mimosas. $108 per person, May 8, 11 a.m. for more details, see www.relishculinary.com. (Crista Jeremiason / The Press Democrat)
15. Take Mom to West Wines Vineyard’s Hike & Wine Tasting. From 11 a.m. to noon, enjoy a walk around the vineyard while tasting their wines. $15 per person, see more information at www.westwines.com/events. (Courtesy / West Wines Vineyard)
Subscribe to Our Newsletters!