Ho ho ho, who wants to be in the kitchen on Christmas Day? Because after all that elf-ing, you deserve a break. But TV dinners are about as merry as traffic jam and leftovers just won’t cut it when your mother-in-law’s involved.
So, if you’re looking for a spot to indulge in some stress-free, kitchen-free dining, here are some best bets for Sonoma County restaurants that are open on Christmas Day…
(In general, many hotel restaurants are open to serve visitors from out of town. Diners and Chinese restaurants are favorite haunts of folks who don’t celebrate the holidays (or just want something other than prime rib and mashed potatoes).
Dickens Dinners at Madrona Manor: Madrona Manor’s ever popular and highly acclaimed Dickens Dinners continue through December 24th and for the first time ever, includes a Christmas Day dinner. Twelfth Night Singers dressed in 19th century garb carol throughout the dining rooms delighting all. The Mansion will be sumptuously decorated for the Holidays, bringing good cheer to one and all. 1001 Westside Road, Healdsburg, 800.258.4003.
Brasserie Restaurant: Breakfast from 6:30 to 11am. Lunch and dinner specials until 8pm, including prime rib and lobster risotto. 170 Railroad Street, Santa Rosa, 636-7388.
Equus Restaurant: Special Christmas Day prix fixe dinner menu from 2pm to 6:30pm including Dungeness Crab Chowder, Brie Fritter salad, crispy duck and waffles, prime rib, kobe beef short ribs, handmade gnocchi and pumpkin cheesecake. $59 per person. Children’s menu available. 101 Fountain Grove Parkway, Santa Rosa, (707) 578-0149
Carneros Bistro: Christmas day prix fixe dinner. Limited seating available from 2-4:30. $55 per person, $30 children. Table side clam chowder, prime rib, ham, Pekin duck, chocolate yule log with candy cane ice cream. Special holiday wine pairings and flights from sommelier Christopher Sawyer. Reservations: 931-2042. 1325 Broadway, Sonoma, 935-6829.
Spoonbar at the h2hotel: Craft your own menu, 3 courses for $55 from 2pm to 7pm. Menu includes Dungeness crab salad, duck liver pate, roasted duck breast, Moorish brick chicken, pheasant, dry-aged New York strip, rum baba. 219 Healdsburg Ave., Healdsburg, 433-7222.
Flamingo Hotel, The Terrace Grill: Christmas Buffet sold out
Saddles Steakhouse: Marrow crusted filet mignon, prime rib, diver scallops, pumpkin ravioli with roasted chestnuts. 3 to 7:30pm by reservation. $49.50 per person.933-3191.29 East MacArthur Street, Sonoma, (707) 933-3191.
Other restaurants open on Christmas
- China Room (500 Mission Blvd., Santa Rosa, 707.539.5570) Open Christmas Day, 11:30am to 9:30pm.
- Fu Zhou Super Buffet, 450 Mendocino Ave., Santa Rosa, open 11am to 8pm.
- Adel’s Restaurant, 456 College Ave., Santa Rosa, 6am to midnight.
- Marie Callender’s: Bakery open from 9am to 9pm and the dining room is open from 10:30am to 9pm. 2460 Mendocino Avenue, Santa Rosa, 547-0747.
Christmas Eve Dinner: Get into the holiday spirit at these spots.
Santi Restaurant: Open Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve for lunch and dinner. 2097 Stagecoach Road, Santa Rosa, 528-1549. Closed Christmas Day.
Cafe Europe: Christmas Eve dinner from 5-9pm. 104 Calistoga Rd.. Santa Rosa, 538-5255. Open Christmas Day.
Stark’s Steakhouse (521 Adams Street, Santa Rosa, 546-5100), Monti’s Rotisserie and Bar (714 Village Court, Santa Rosa, 568-4404): Seating until 8pm Christmas Eve. Closed Christmas Day.
- G & G Market: Open 8am to 6pm Christmas Eve, CLOSED Christmas Day
- Oliver’s Markets: Open 7am to 9pm Christmas Eve, open 9am to 3pm Christmas Day
- Pacific Market: Santa Rosa CLOSED Christmas Day, Sebastopol open from 9am to 3pm Christmas Day.
- Safeway: Fourth St., Yulupa: Closing at 7pm Christmas Eve, Closed Christmas Day; Mendocino Ave., Closing at 7pm Christmas Eve, Open 9am to 4pm Christmas Day
- Trader Joe’s: Closing 6pm Christmas Eve, Closed Christmas Day
- Whole Foods: Open Christmas eve until 6pm. Closed Christmas Day.